Thursday, January 17, 2019

Self-Introduction Letter

Dear Prof Blackstone,

My name is Ling Wei Jie and I am writing this letter to help you get to know me better. I am currently a first year student studying civil engineering in the Singapore Institute of Technology.

I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in civil engineering with business in the year 2016. Construction works piqued my interest as it was always fascinating to see buildings of bizarre shapes and sizes, such as The Interlace in Bukit Merah, being built. It has been nothing short of amazing to learn about how engineers create newer and more efficient work processes.

I have a passion for music and have been playing the trumpet for 15 years. Picking up the instrument has given the shy and passive me numerous chances and opportunities to express myself. Performing in huge crowds and concert halls helped me to build up my confidence and allowed me to get accustomed and feel less nervous when I am required to speak up.

A communication weakness that I have would be that I am very passive. I tend to be very laid back and non-assertive due to my introverted nature. Over the course of this module, I hope to learn to be more active in presentation, as well as to improve my grammar and vocabulary use.

Looking forward to working together with you!

Best regards,
Ling Wei Jie

Edited on 21/1/19, 1.37 pm

5 comments:

  1. Good language use and clear explanation of your weaknesses. Concise and simple, an overall enjoyable read and I felt that I got to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Darryl!

      Cheers,
      Wei Jie

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wei Jie,

    I appreciate your sharing in this fluent, clear and concise reflection. The letter is fairly informative, generally matching in scope the parameters set for the assignment. You make a clear statement on why you became interested in civil engineering, what your hobby is and what you see as strengths and weaknesses in communication. I appreciate the way you connected your trumpet playing and performance experience with your developing more confidence. Your language use makes apparent that you've used English throughout your life.

    I'd like to see you making stronger contributions to our future class discussions and be a leader in the project work this term.

    In terms of language use, there are a couple areas to take note of:
    1. sentence structure
    -- Over the course of this module, I hope to learn to be more active in presentation, as well as improving grammar and vocabulary use.
    > (lack of parallel verb form structure)
    Over the course of this module, I hope to learn to be more active in presentation, as well as to improve my grammar and vocabulary use.

    2. word use
    -- helped me to build up my confidence and henceforth allowed me > (Is 'henceforth' needed?) ?

    I look forward to working with you this term as well.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sir,

      Thank you very much for taking your time to read the post as well as to provide guidance and pointers!

      Cheers,
      Wei Jie

      Delete